CPE Credit Hours: 12
- Free, one-year TCEA membership for each participant ($49 value)
- TCEA digital badge
- TCEA certificate sent via email upon course completion
If you have any questions or need further information about registration or course content, please fill out this short form.
The purpose of this online, self-paced course is to assist teachers as they learn the EV3 robot. They can do this whether they are new to the experience, or moving from the original LEGO MINDSTORMS Education software to the newly released Classroom App. The introductory course will cover the building and programming foundation of the third generation of LEGO® Robotics – the EV3. To participate in the course the following is recommended:
- One device with the programming app. Download the programming app for Mac OS, Chrome, Windows 7-10, Fire tablets, iPad, and Android here.
- One device for online instruction
- LEGO® Education MINDSTORMS EV3 (45544)
Why Learn with TCEA?
- Our courses are streamlined for efficient and lasting learning.
- We share ideas and resources that you won’t be able to find anywhere else.
- We also offer ideas and techniques based on years of experience in professional development, integrating educator feedback to always meet the needs of course participants.
Self-Paced Online Course
EV3 Robotics is a self-paced, online program. Participants can begin anytime and go at their own speed throughout the program.
Upon enrollment, you will receive a program invitation email from TCEA’s learning management system (Instructure’s Canvas) that will give you access to the self-paced course. Within the course, you will find modules that must be moved through in sequential order. The modules can be found below.
|Module 1||Preparation and Getting Started||In this module, we will quickly take a walk down LEGO memory lane, download the software, view the LEGO Getting Started documentation, and get an overview of the LEGO Education Classroom app. The most exciting portion of Module 1 is unboxing and organizing your EV3 core set.|
|Module 2||Setting a Foundation||In this module, we will set the software and hardware foundation for the LEGO system of EV3 robotics. The module will cover the language of LEGO (Technic building elements) and the vocabulary used in the Programming Canvas of the Classroom App.|
|Module 3||Beginning the Journey||In this module, you will connect your EV3 brick and write your first program. The basics for working with the brick will be shared. Time will be devoted to exploring the #2 Getting Started introductory lesson. Lastly, you will have an opportunity to get creative with an instructional build.|
|Module 4||The Five Basic Movements||In this module, we’ll jump right into our first build: the LEGO Driving Base. Programming will include the five basic movements: forward, reverse, and the three turns: pivot, point and curve.|
|Module 5||The Sensors||In this module, we will build the attachments for the Touch, Color, Ultrasonic, and Gyro sensors. Get ready to program each sensor as every lesson in this module will include a sensor introduction, the code blocks used, and two sample programs for each sensor.|