Frequently Asked Questions
1 Sponsor: May depend on the number of teams. Each sponsor must be a TCEA member. Each team needs one sponsor, but a sponsor may lead more than one team.
4 Contest Divisions: Advanced Arena, Advanced Inventions, Intermediate Arena, Intermediate Inventions
3 Teams per division, per campus (2-4 students per team)
SUGGESTED EQUIPMENT/FEES FOR EACH TEAM:
LEGO Education SPIKE Prime
- 1 SPIKE Prime Core Set $339.95 – The software, included, is Windows 10, Mac, Chrome, iOS, and Android compatible.
- 1 SPIKE Prime Expansion Set $109.95 (helpful but not necessary)
LEGO MINDSTORMS Robot Inventor
- 1 Robot Inventor Set $359.95 – The app, included, is Windows 10, Mac, Fire, iOS, and Android compatible.
LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 (Retired – Not available for purchase)
LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT (Allowed in inventions only. Retired – Not available for purchase)
- 1 VEQ IQ Super Kit $379.00 – The software, included, is Windows 10, Mac, Chrome, iOS, and Android compatible.
- 1 VEQ IQ Competition Add-on Kit $114.99 (helpful but not necessary)
Additional Items for Arena Teams
- 1 Race Against Time Mat $70.00
- Game Pieces Kit $12.00 – vary each year (Past examples: cotton balls, LEGO bricks, straws, PVC couplers, and checkers)
- Arena Contest Frame – The playing field used in the arena competition is an 4-by-8-foot wooden frame designed to keep the robots from leaving the field of play. Step-by-step building instructions are included in the Arena Challenge documentation. In talking with many sponsors, these are the tips you might take heed of if you plan on building a practice frame: Build a half frame (4’x4’), which is much easier to store and transport. Buy more than the suggested 50 #10 wood screws.
- 1 Contest Registration fee $50.00 (plus $70 for State if advancing)
TCEA Robotics Website: www.tcea.org/robotics
ROBO-SIG: Connect with other sponsors, find and share resources. Guarantees you access into the TCEA Social Community Robo-SIG Group.
Contest Forum: Have an Inventions or Arena question? TCEA Robotics Community
TechNotes Blog Posts: Robotics TechNotes is TCEA’s popular blog, blog.tcea.org offering posts from TCEA board, staff, and members on a range of timely and relevant topics. Sign up to receive the TechNotes newsletter to ensure you are getting the best news and content from TCEA.
- The EV3 Robot Retires
- SPIKE Prime vs Robot Inventor
- Unboxing SPIKE Prime
- 2020-21 Whirligig Robotics Contest Wrap Up
- A Look Inside the State Robotics Contest
ED TECH CLUB – A tcea PODCAST
TCEA offers professional development in robotics for educators virtually, face-to-face, online courses, and onsite learning events.