CPE Credit Hours: 12
- Free, one-year TCEA membership for each participant ($49 value)
- TCEA digital badge
- TCEA certificate sent via email upon course completion
If you have any questions or need further information about registration or course content, please fill out this short form.
SPIKE Essential Robotics
The purpose of this online, self-paced course is to assist you in learning how to build and program with the LEGO Education SPIKE™ Essential set. The introductory course will also cover classroom implementation tips for using SPIKE™ Essential in the classroom and a variety of activities you can use with students.
To participate in the course the following is recommended:
- One device with the programming app. Download the programming app for iOS, Chrome, Windows 10, and Android here.
- One device for online instruction
- LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Essential (45345)
Why Learn with TCEA?
- Our courses are streamlined for efficient and lasting learning.
- We share ideas and resources that you won’t be able to find anywhere else.
- We also offer ideas and techniques based on years of experience in professional development, integrating educator feedback to always meet the needs of course participants.
Self-Paced, Online Course
SPIKE Essential Robotics is a self-paced, online program. Participants can begin anytime and go at their own speed throughout the program.
Upon enrollment, you will receive a program invitation email from TCEA’s learning management system that will give you access to the self-paced course. Within the course, you will find modules that must be moved through in sequential order. The modules can be found below.
|Module 1||Prepping SPIKE Essential||In this module, we are starting at the very beginning. We will cover a little history of LEGO robotics, meet the Minifigures included in the SPIKE Essential set, and download the software. The most exciting portion of Module 1 is unboxing and organizing your SPIKE Essential core set.|
|Module 2||Getting Started||In this module, we will earn the language of the LEGO Technic building elements. We will also have some fun with two introductory activities and watch a quick overview of the SPIKE Prime software.|
|Module 3||Diving into Coding||In this module, you will connect your Hub and write your first program. The basics of working with the Hub will be covered.|
|Module 4||Getting Motors Moving||This module is jam-packed with an introductory activity, motor observation, and exploring the LEGO curriculum. For the Bot Bonus, you will also learn the “way” of the brick separator tool.|
|Module 5||Taking It to Infinity and Beyond||There is so much you can do with a SPIKE Essential set. To discover this, you will explore the built-in gyro sensor and two-motor movements. And then get ready to open up your eyes and explore builds outside the LEGO curriculum. Be prepared to try your hand at building and coding two designs from Yoshihito Isogawa.|