CPE Credit Hours: 12
- Free, one-year TCEA membership for each participant ($49 value)
- TCEA digital badge
- TCEA certificate sent via email upon course completion
If you have any questions or need further information about registration or course content, please fill out this short form.
SPIKE Prime Robotics
The purpose of this online, self-paced course is perfect for transitioning EV3 teachers and new-to-robotics teachers to SPIKE™ Prime. The introductory course will cover the building and programming foundation of the fourth generation of LEGO® Robotics – the new SPIKE™ Prime. To participate in the course the following is recommended:
- One device with the programming app. Download the programming app for iOS, Chrome, Windows 10, and Android here.
- One device for online instruction
- LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Prime (45678)
Why Learn with TCEA?
- Our courses are streamlined for efficient and lasting learning.
- We share ideas and resources that you won’t be able to find anywhere else.
- We also offer ideas and techniques based on years of experience in professional development, integrating educator feedback to always meet the needs of course participants.
Self-Paced Online Course
SPIKE Prime Educator is a self-paced, online program. Participants can begin anytime and go at their own speed throughout the program.
Upon enrollment, you will receive a program invitation email from TCEA’s learning management system (Instructure’s Canvas) that will give you access to the self-paced course. Within the course, you will find modules that must be moved through in sequential order. The modules can be found below.
|Module 1||Preparation and Getting Started||In this module, you will download the software, view the LEGO Getting Started documentation, and get an overview of the LEGO Education SPIKE Prime app. The most exciting portion of Module 1 is unboxing and organizing your SPIKE Prime core set.|
|Module 2||Setting a Foundation||In this module, we will set the foundation for teaching and learning about the language of LEGO (Technic building elements) and watch a quick overview of the SPIKE Prime programmable Hub.|
|Module 3||Beginning the Journey||In this module, we will connect the Hub and write your first program. The basics for working with the Hub will be covered. Time will be devoted to exploring the #2 and #3 Getting Started introductory lessons.|
|Module 4||Build and Program the Rhino||In this module, we’ll jump right into our first build. I can't think of a better way than to build a rhino and program this robot to go forwards and in reverse. A mini-challenge is included for fun and you will get a sneak peek at the Force Sensor.|
|Module 5||The 5 Basic Movements||In this module, we'll build the SPIKE Prime Driving Base 1. Programming will include the five basic movements: forward, reverse, and three turns: pivot, point, and curve. A bonus turn is also included.|
|Module 6||The Sensors||In this module, we will build attachments for the Force, Color, and Distance sensors. Six programs will be covered (two programs for each sensor.)|