- Free, one-year TCEA membership for each participant ($49 value)
- TCEA digital badge
- TCEA certificate sent via email upon course completion
SPIKE Prime Robotics
The purpose of this online, self-paced course is perfect for transitioning EV3 teachers and new-to-robotics teachers to SPIKE™ Prime. The introductory course will cover the building and programming foundation of the fourth generation of LEGO® Robotics – the new SPIKE™ Prime. To participate in the course the following is recommended:
- One device with the programming app. Download the programming app for iOS, Chrome, Windows 10, and Android here.
- One device for online instruction
- LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Prime (45678)
Why Learn with TCEA?
- Our courses are streamlined for efficient and lasting learning.
- We share ideas and resources that you won’t be able to find anywhere else.
- We also offer ideas and techniques based on years of experience in professional development, integrating educator feedback to always meet the needs of course participants.
Self-Paced Online Course
SPIKE Prime Educator is a self-paced, online program. Participants can begin anytime and go at their own speed throughout the program.
Upon enrollment, you will receive a program invitation email from TCEA’s learning management system (Instructure’s Canvas) that will give you access to the self-paced course. Within the course, you will find modules that must be moved through in sequential order. The modules can be found below.
|Module 1||Preparation and Getting Started||In this module, you will download the software, view the LEGO Getting Started documentation, and get an overview of the LEGO Education SPIKE Prime app. The most exciting portion of Module 1 is unboxing and organizing your SPIKE Prime core set.|
|Module 2||Setting a Foundation||In this module, we will set the foundation for teaching and learning about the language of LEGO (Technic building elements) and watch a quick overview of the SPIKE Prime programmable Hub.|
|Module 3||Beginning the Journey||In this module, we will connect the Hub and write your first program. The basics for working with the Hub will be covered. Time will be devoted to exploring the #2 and #3 Getting Started introductory lessons.|
|Module 4||Build and Program the Rhino||In this module, we’ll jump right into our first build. I can't think of a better way than to build a rhino and program this robot to go forwards and in reverse. A mini-challenge is included for fun and you will get a sneak peek at the Force Sensor.|
|Module 5||The 5 Basic Movements||In this module, we'll build the SPIKE Prime Driving Base 1. Programming will include the five basic movements: forward, reverse, and three turns: pivot, point, and curve. A bonus turn is also included.|
|Module 6||The Sensors||In this module, we will build attachments for the Force, Color, and Distance sensors. Six programs will be covered (two programs for each sensor.)|